Home - About Us - Our History
On the first Sunday of March, 1954, several people met in a rented store building on Wichita Street in Fort Worth to organize a church. The church was named Worth Baptist Temple. The congregation called as their pastor Rev. R.J. Barber, Jr. Under the leadership of Pastor R.J. Barber, the church soon purchased a parcel of land at 3309 Wilbarger Street on which was located a white frame building that was then adequate for Sunday School and worship services.
How We've Grown
In January of 1962, the church called its second pastor, Rev. Raymond W. Barber, a brother to the founding pastor. In 1977, the church purchased 14 acres on Campus Drive and built the main building which serves as our current location. Dr. Raymond Barber pastored Worth Baptist for 35 years. During his years as Pastor, Worth experienced tremendous growth and several building programs.
In April of 1997, the church called Dr. Willie W. Weaver as Pastor. Under his leadership, Worth continued to grow and flourish. Pastor Weaver had led the church to remodel and modernize much of the facilities and grounds and to begin many new fruit-bearing ministries.
In January of 2016, the church called Tyler Gillit as Pastor. Pastor Gillit served on staff at Worth for eight years in various roles. Pastor Gillit is known for bold, expository preaching and his passion to make disciples in Fort Worth and around the world.
Our Hopeful Future
Worth Baptist Church has a wonderful heritage and a bright future. The story of our church is still being written by God and witnessed by souls being saved, lives being changed, families being strengthened, and churches being started.